The name of Őrtilos was mentioned first by documents as ’Ewr’ at the very beginning of the 15th century. The name of the village might come from the fact that in the past gunpowder stores were guarded here because according to the story the majority of the gunpowder barrels – in Hungary of that time – were hidden here in Őrtilos. The proof of the legend can be that in the fields traces of posts can also be found today. Its owners often changed: in the 15th century it was owned by Kanizsai family, then the Himfi family from Debrente.
At the beginning of the 18th century Őr (Eör) is mentioned by the documents as a Roman Catholic Croatian village. Nowadays surnames in the village can refer to these times. In 1760s immigration of Hungarians into the village started. In those days it was already mentioned in the documents with two names: sometimes Őr, sometimes Tilos. These were still used alternately in different documents at the end of the 19th century. In its name the word Őr refers to the border guards ’residence and property who lived here in the Middle Ages. The later one Tilos could mean a prohibited area.
Szentmihályhegy (St. Michael Hill – this name is used nowadays) was named after St. Michael chapel – built in 1740 on Legrad Hill. (Legrad can be found on the other side of River Drava in Croatia.) On 14th September 1848 Legrad Hill was one of the places where Jelačić, governor of Croatia crossed the river Drava. Those trenches – which were dug for the defence of cannons here – can also be seen. It turns out from war reports of that time that Mor Perczel personally commanded the Hungarian army on Legrad Hill. Szentmihályhegy is a part of Őrtilos today.
Őrtilos is famous for its unique view, giving the travellers supernatural peace. The beautiful confluence of the rivers Drava and Mura is found in Őrtilos, on one of the most valuable areas of the Danube-Drava National Park. The St. Michael Church – built on medieval bases in the 18th century – can be found on St. Michael Hill which is a part of Őrtilos. It is a popular pilgrimage site. From the church a fascinating view is provided for the travellers. South from the church, the “Festung” Memorial can be found on the hill above the river. It was erected by the inhabitants of Őrtilos to the memory of the Revolution and War of Independence in 1848- 49. In the vicinity of the village – to the direction of Murakeresztúr and Belezna – the New Zrínyi Fort is located that served as fortification for the army of Miklós Zrínyi.
This village is an important node for water tourism, hiking and biking.
The village of Zákány is located on the bank of the river Drava, at the border. Below the river Drava is flowing, in the distance the mountains of Croatia appear. It is one of those places in the country that got a railway among the first. It is an important railway junction. The ten-hectare area of Zákány Látóhegy is full of rare and protected plants. In the waters here the fresh-water jellyfish can also be found.
This village is famous for the wine of Zákány. On the basis of it a wine route has been created. The cellars in the mountain provide real romance and serve as stops for hikers and bikers. This part of Danube-Drava National Park has not been discovered either by fans of watersports and hikers, yet.
The village of Gyékényes – next to Zákány – can also be found close to River Drava. The undisturbed countryside preserved its natural beauties, nothing disturbed its flora and fauna. Its botanical curiosities are Fritillaria meleagris, Carex strigosa, Urtica kiovensis, Leucojum vernum and Scilla drunensis.
Gyékényes is a favourite of hunters and anglers. Near Gyékényes there is a more than 340 hectare large mine-lake with drinking water quality. Pebble mining has already been working here, presumably for around 100 years. The holiday area around Gyékényes Lake is a popular place not only for anglers but also for fans of water sports. The lake often hosts divers’ championship, ship modellers’ competitions and triathlon competitions. It is a favourite place for those who have a desire for silence and rest.
The Municipality of Legrad is located in Koprivnica-Križevci County near the confluence of the Mura and Drava rivers. Geographically it belongs in the region of Podravina. According to the 2011 census, the municipality of Legrad has 2185 residents in 920 households.
Legrad was first mentioned in 1384 and in 1710, when the Drava changed its flow, it was relocated from Međimurje to the Podravina region. In the 16th century Legrad was the residence of the captaincy of Legrad, established to defend the region from the Ottomans. Military command was formed by the Zrinski family. At that time Legrad was known for handicrafts, especially for making high-quality knives. In the 20th century, basket weaving was developed and rich deposits of natural gas were discovered.
Today, tourism is the focus of the municipality, by virtue of natural beauties and geothermal water. In Legrad it is a must to visit the baroque churches, the Mura confluence, Šoderica Lake and the Veliki Pažut ornithological reserve. Two bicycle routes meet in Legrad. The Drava Route starts and the Tour de Mur ends in Legrad. Both are part of the international route EuroVelo 13.
About tourist sight in the area of Őrtilos more information is available in the downloadable brochure.
Map about the cycling route network in South Transdanubian is available here: